Saturday, July 16, 2005

Billy Adams: Got My Mojo Workin'/Betty and Dupree (Sun 389)

This appears to be an early 60s Sun record. It's not the rockabilly you'd normally expect, but then any fool could tell you that Sun was not just a rockabilly label. This one is a rhythm & blues two-sider from one of their more obscure artists. The "Betty and Dupree" cover is done with energy and conviction, but for my money, "Got My Mojo Workin'" is the keeper. Strangely enough, Adams is credited as the songwriter even though others have recorded it first. Maybe it's because Adams sings it as "Got my mojo workin', got it workin', workin', workin', workin' on you," instead of the normal "Got my mojo workin' but it just won't work on you." Get the idea? It don't matter too much, though, because the band keeps up the frenzied tempo all the way through. Even though Mr. Adams loses the beat a bit towards the end, he keeps up his end of the bargain by hootin' and hollerin' till closing time. "Let me tell you 'bout my mojo" Adams sings at the beginning. I don't know about you, but I'm with 'im!

No comments: