Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Spider Martin: Here 'Tis Parts 1 and 2 (Cookin' 45-608)

Spider Martin (center)
Well, dear readers, here's another artist I don't know anything about with another hot instrumental 45. Let me relate something a bit here: I was at another record show in Indy this past weekend when I found this in someone's instrumental stash. It looked interesting enough. After all, if a song is divided into part 1 and part 2 on a 45, chances are good that it's worth hearing. After all, all those James Brown 45s weren't big sellers for nothin', y'know. Also, it was on a label called Cookin'. Anyway, I make my way to another dealer's table. This person was someone I'd just bought a bunch of stuff from. Well, I was looking through his boxes again, pulled out a few more 45s and proceeded to play them on the portable record player he had with him. Then, I get out this and play it just to see what it would be like. After all, the dealer I got it from didn't have a portable turntable. Well, when I played this record, that other dealer took notice. He wanted to know what it was and asked if I'd let him play it all the way through. I did and he was going nuts over it. I mean it had him hollerin' for joy! He was diggin' it! So, you're thinking, what's this got to do with anything? Well, he's right. This is a very fine piece of smokin' jazz with lots of wailin' horns and thrashin' organ, all going along at 70 miles an hour down the musical turnpike. And you get two sides worth of it, too. This thing's a jam, what else can I say? And it's always nice to be able to turn someone else on to something you were surprised by yourself, so I left the show with another stack of cool wax and a glowing feeling in my heart that I did my good deed for the day.

1 comment:

Dave said...

This 45 sounds real interesting. Gonna have to keep an eye out for a copy...