Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Ruby and the Party Gang: Hey, Ruby (Shut Your Mouth) (Law-ton 1554)

Here, my friends, is yet another novelty record. It's a soul novelty record this time, though. A funky soul novelty record at that. I don't know what else you'd call it. At this point, I've exhausted all possibilities on what to label this thing other than it's fun.

I don't know anything about this group, whether it was real or a studio concoction. Judging from the "distributed by Avco Records" tag at the bottom, I'm going to guess that it's from the early seventies. Again, could be wrong.

So, what's going on here? Well, it looks like there's a wild party goin' on. Lots of laughin', hoopin' and hollerin', all to a background of funky, jazzy music with a heapin' helpin' of tasty sax. Then, we get the gest of the record with an exchange that goes something like this.

Neighbor: Hey, Ruby!
Ruby: What you want?!
Neighbor: Shut your mouth! I'm tryin' to get some sleep.
Ruby: You pay your rent downstairs and I'll pay my rent upstairs.
You do what you want to do upstairs and I'll do what I want to do upstairs.
(loud laughter)

And on and on it goes until finally Ruby tells the poor guy to "drop dead." For anyone who's ever hated apartment living, this 45 should bring back a few mostly unpleasant memories. Which doesn't mean this isn't a good record. It is, trust me.

2 comments:

Larry Grogan said...

There's also 'Ruby's Surprise Party' on Gamble and one other 45 that I can't remember the title of (also on Gamble).

PUPUK HAYATI M-BIO PORASI said...

Hahaha, good point there,