Tuesday, April 18, 2006

The Soul Partners - "Walk On Judge"


Here's a record that I've wanted to write about since I started this blog ten months ago, "Walk On Judge" by The Soul Partners. I don't know a lot about these guys, except that they were from Columbus, OH and their record was originally released on the local Holiday imprint as seen here. It was also subsequently picked up by the Bell label for national distribution. The Soul Partners had at least one more record on Bell. "Walk On Judge" dates from around 1969.

What we have here is a very upbeat, rockin', soul instrumental. The only vocalizing starts the record, with someone shouting the song's title. Then, the lead guitar drops in, followed closely by the drums and bass guitar. Horns join the fray and take us through the main theme, which has a great hook. At the end of each verse, the guitar comes back to the fore and we're treated to some biting, funky licks. After a pair of verses, we're shifted to a short break that's heavy on percussion and bass and then it's back to the main theme, where the song fades all too soon. All in all, it's a great little hip shaker.

3 comments:

JASON X said...

Todd,
Thanks for linking to my site. I've returned the favour! Nice site you have. I'm always loving the tidbits of information on old soulies...kinda uncovers a bigger picture bit by bit. Keep up the good work!

Jason
shindiggit.blogspot.com

The Stepfather of Soul said...

I first heard "Walk on Judge" about four months ago and I was blown away by how awesome it was. Good info re the group being from Columbus; that leads me to believe that the "Moss" production credit belongs to Capsoul head Bill Moss - of "Sock It To 'Em Soul Brother" fame.

Agent45 said...

What I want to know is if any of the Holiday pressings ever turn up in decent condition! I've had (and maybe still do?) three or four copies on Holiday and they're always in questionable condition (at best). Two great sides though - and I also love "Spead" from the other single mentioned by Brian Marshall!