Sunday, May 11, 2008

Indy Show Finds - May Edition

Hello all. Sorry for the long gaps in postings, but Todd's been sick and I haven't been feeling so well lately myself. Oh, okay, I've been lazy. So, to tide you over to the next posting (which for me will be sometime this week, I hope), here's a little report on a digging excursion I went on. Last Sunday was one of our bi-monthly record shows here in Indy. I don't quite have the digging stories that Fleamarket Funk has, but I somehow manage to find some cool stuff. Here's how it all went down:

The Fame Gang: Grits and Gravy (Fame)
Ronnie Self: Ain't I'm A Dog (Columbia)
Ace Cannon: Drunk (Hi)
The Jolly Jax: Pony Shuffle (Airmaster)
The Zeet Band: Moogie Boogie (Chess)
Eddie and Ernie: You Give Me Love To Go On (Revue)
Lowell Fulsom: The Thing (Kent)
The Choir: It's Cold Outside (Canadian American)
The Thundertones: Hot Ice (Dot)
The Olympics: Good Lovin' (Loma)
Tommy James and the Shondells: Gotta Get Back To You (Roulette)
Johnny Otis Orchestra: Wa Wa (Parts 1 and 2) (Dig)
Jackie Lee: Your P-E-R-S-O-N-A-L-I-T-Y (Mirwood)
Aaron Neville: Space Man (Par Lo)
Charles Hodges: Slip Around (Calla)
Jimmy McGriff: The Bird (Capitol)
Jimmy McGriff: Chip!! Chip!! (Jell)
The Stereos: I Feel Soul A-Coming (Cadet)
Buzzie: Stone Soul Booster (Gordy)
The Radiants: Hold On (Chess)
Shirley Ellis: The Nitty Gritty (Congress)
John Barry: Zulu Stamp (United Artists)
Wilson Pickett: I Can't Stop (Double L)
The Moody Blues: This Is My House (But Nobody Calls)(London)
Jumpin' Gene Simmons: Keep That Meat in the Pan (Hi)
Ohio Express: Hot Dog (Super K)
Rufus Thomas: 6-3-8/Love Trap (Stax)
Buster Benton: Good to the Last Drop (Jewel)

And that's about it. A good chunk o'soul with a few touches of bubblegum and rockabilly with a garage classic. Not bad for a morning's haul. If you see a record or two on this list that you have a curiosity about, please feel free to leave comments. C'mon, we don't bite.

Back a little later with a smokin' hot record by Taj Mahal.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jumpin' Gene Simmons: Keep That Meat in the Pan (Hi)--......----

never heard this track and its hard to find here in the uk

ive got it on my want list as an answer song to gene -haunted house

is this a possability

henrie

Anonymous said...

Tommy James & The Shondells are the best group not in the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame! Dale Smith

Devil Dick said...

ronnie self is an all time fave aint i'm a dog is an ace. If you aint heard it get yerself a copy of Bop-A-Lena! It's a MOVER!!!

Brian Marshall said...

To address everyone:

"Keep That Meat In The Pan" would seem like a sequel to "Haunted House," but it isn't mentioned in the lyrics. Maybe I'll have to listen a little more closely.

I completely concur about Tommy James and the Shondells. They can put John Menstrualcramp and Madonna (blecch!) in, but they can't put in Tommy James. It's a crime! (But I am glad they inducted The Ventures and The Dave Clark Five. I guess they do some things right sometime.)

As for "Bop-A-Lena," I completely agree. That's a real hot one. And I got it, too.

The RedBoy said...

Nary is the Devil wrong. Who'd a thunk that Columbia would get behind not only Mr. Self, but also the Collins Kids and a post crack-up Carl Perkins.

'You're So Right for Me' is an awesome tune as well.