Friday, June 13, 2008

Joe Simon - "The Whoo Pee" (Vee Jay)


Well, looks like it's time for a Friday post from me, too. I've had this one in the works for a few weeks now and the time has come to finish it. It's time to lay down a sweet, danceable groove from one Mr. Joe Simon.

Soul afficionados know Joe Simon for his smooth R&B voice on hits like "Drowning in the Sea of Love," "The Chokin' Kind," "Pool of Bad Luck," "Get Down Get Down (Get On The Floor)" and many others. Well, here's a side you might not expect from Joe, a hip-shakin' instro floor filler called "The Whoo Pee."

This cut is the B-side of Joe's 1965 record "Let's Do It Over," which was his first showing on the Billboard R&B Charts, coming in at #13 that year. "Let's Do It Over" is a slower, more ballad-like number that would seem more of what you'd expect from Mr. Simon. But little did you know that a party'd be going on when you turn the record over.

Now, I'm not claiming to be an expert on Joe Simon or anything like that, but as I've said more than once, I know what I like when I hear it. And this one's got a hot groove. Simon doesn't actually sing on this side, more of a call and response type of thing. He starts out by yelling "Awwright, let's do the Whoo Pee!" and with that, the party's off and running, complete with a few kids cheering on the sideline.

Simon lets out the call to "put your hands on your hip and let your backbone slip" that you've no doubt heard a million times before, but back then, it wasn't quite a cliche yet, if you know what I mean. It's all part of the fun, y'know? Simon also mentions doing the Twine at one point, and this wouldn't be a too shabby companion piece with that Alvin Cash classic, since they're both pretty much in the same vein. Add to this, a frenzied organ solo and you've got yourself a winner, sure to help you get through your Friday the 13th blues. I hope you dig it, anyhow.

2 comments:

frankai said...

i like the vocal version by sugar pie desanto ,never heard this before ,thanks

rickdog said...

You have a great music blog here! I've added you to my mp3blog list and custom search, check it out.

I've collected over 5,000 mp3blog links, accessible from the alpha menu at page top. You can open frames on these blogs to view them directly on my site, and you can also view the feeds in a frame.

You can search your blog and all the others in my custom google search:

Rickdog's MP3blog search
http://chewbone.blogspot.com/2008/03/mp3-blog-search-results.html