Sunday, January 30, 2011

Indy Show Finds

Well, here I am again and as promised, here's a little report on the Indianapolis record show. I didn't spend a whole lot and besides, too many of the 45 dealers had nothing but copies of records that were hits. Can't these dealers ever find anything cool and obscure without having to peddle the same "hits" over and over again? That said, I still managed to find a few gems and here they are:

Joe Bennett and the Sparkletones: Cotton' Pickin' Rocker/I Dig You Baby (ABC Paramount) I was really glad to find this, a two-sided rockin' rockabilly gem! Ranks right up there with "Rocket," "Penny Loafers and Bobby Socks" and, of course, "Black Slacks."

The Hollywood Flames: Buzz Buzz Buzz/Crazy (Ebb) This went to #11 in 1957 and was this L.A. group's only hit, but what a hit it was. In fact, both sides of this are rockin' uptempo doo wop of the highest order. I also have the equally great "Frankenstein's Den"/"Strollin' on the Beach" from these guys and I am definitely on the lookout for more.

The Crescendos: Crazy Hop (Nasco) These guys had a Top 5 hit in 1958 with "Oh Julie," a record I see around a lot. This must have been the follow-up and it's a nice doo wop rocker. They were from Nashville.

Ricky Nelson: Ricky (4-s0ng EP) (Verve) This covers Ricky's two Verve singles before he went to Imperial and greater fame. I got it because it includes the Las Vegas Grind instrumental "Honey Rock" by Barney Kessel.

Terry Knight and the Pack: One Monkey Don't Stop No Show/The Train (Lucky Eleven) I never saw this one before, but I don't think it's their best single. They attempt a more soulful direction complete with horns, covering the Joe Tex standard on the A-side and rockin' a little harder on the flip (but still with those damned horns). This one's from 1967 and it may be thei5r last single as Terry Knight and the Pack. My favorite of theirs remains "How Much More (Have I Got To Give) from the previous year.

The Rivieras: Whole Lotta Shakin'/Rip It Up (Riviera) Here's another one I haven't seen before, and it's got a Jerry Lee Lewis cover and a Little Richard cover, done up in their usual fratty garage rock style. Not necessarily mandatory, but nice nonetheless.

Dicky Doo and the Don'ts: Wild Party (Swan) Another nice rocker, this one from 1959 from the folks who brought you "Click Clack." Now, errrr, anyone have a copy of "Ne Ne Na Na Nu Nu" they'd like to sell?

A Pair of Kings: The Monster (RCA Victor) Well, whad'ya know, another Halloween novelty I can put in my Halloween 45 collection.

Larry Dale: Drinkin' Wine Spo-Dee-O-Dee/Keep Getting Up (Atlantic) Here's the real find of this bunch, a rockin', shufflin' version of the Sticks McGhee classic backed with a sax blowin' instro with great rhythm guitar on the flip. If anyone knows anything about this guy, please drop us a line.

So there ya go. Let's see if I'm able to make it to the March 20 show or not. Maybe they'll have some better dealers then. We shall see.

1 comment:

ana-b said...

Info about Larry Dale.

http://www.rockabilly.nl/references/messages/larry_dale.htm

The only thing missing is from that piece is that Dale died last year.