Monday, July 11, 2005

Egyptian Combo - The Frog


Here's a record from a southern Illinois combo. But I had this long before I ever moved here. It was a record show find from just about the time that I really started collecting old 45's. And what a way to start! No wonder I became so rabid over the things.

Norman was a St. Louis label and I naturally thought the Egyptian Combo musta hailed from there. Lo and behold, after relocating here a couple of years ago, I proceed to find out they're actually from nearby Herrin, IL. Not only are they local but they're still playing the occasional show to this day. I haven't managed to catch their live act yet but am hoping to, eventually.

"The Frog" is one of those things that sounds like it was dreamed up on the spot, a totally wild instumental romp. There's some mean, frantic, somewhat country-like guitar picking and the guys are having a great time, whooping and hollering in the background throughout the reocrd. Every once in awhile the music stops just long enough for the sound of a croaking frog to chime in and then off they go again. Finally, it winds down at the end, as though the band is totally wiped. Who can blame them?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I knew these guys. We had a band there in the 60's and played at Carrie's in Murphysboro. Take a look at my site www.djgaryblues.com and click on the about me link.

Todd Lucas said...

Gary, I checked out your site. Would love to hear more about your days in southern Illinois and your band, The Nite Owls.