Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Joel Grey: My Goose Is Cooked/I Lost Her To Him (Capitol F3821)


THE Joel Grey? THE Joel Grey? The same Joel Grey who told us all to come to the Cabaret? The same Joel Grey who recorded a version of "White Room" that was "good" enough to be on the Golden Throats compilations? I don't know. I can't find any information other than all the soundtracks Grey has been on, but on the other hand Grey WAS in a 1957 movie called "Calypso Heat Wave," so it's very possible he could have recorded these two decent rockabilly boppers for Capitol a year or two before. If someone's got the beans, please spill them. Meanwhile, both of these songs are pretty good. "I Lost Her To Him" is a boy-loses-girl tune from the Sanford Clark "Fool" school of loser tunes, while "My Goose Is Cooked" is more uptempo and rockin', with killer lines such as the following:

My heart is on fire like fish in a pan
I wanna take that girl to the preacher man
I wanna tie that heiffer up as fast as I can
Set the table, honey, my goose is cooked.

So, it's a little hard for me to believe with lines like that that this is the same Joel Grey of broadway fame. Therefore, this review will probably have to be completely rewritten whenever I get the information. Guess we'll have to see.

No comments: