Thursday, July 21, 2005

Roy and Georgia and the So and So's: Devil Get Away From Me/Looking Up (Crossfire CF 105)


Here's another of the more unusual 45s in my vaults. This appears to be a religious-oriented record from a California label. A couple of things: First, only Roy does the vocals, so if you're expecting male-female duets, forget it. Second, while there's clearly a drummer present, there also appears to be an early drum machine. (At least that's what it sounds like to me.)
Third, the main instrument is the guitar and while the playing is competent enough, there's a few odd breaks in the 4/4 scale on both songs. On "Looking Up," the singer is looking ahead to the better life up there, while saying that poverty doesn't bother him too much. The A-side has our singer being taken to Hell because he hasn't been a good man, but he says a prayer and the Lord says "This time I'll forgive you, but the next time...."
you get the idea. He wakes up in a pool of sweat. Oh yeah, I forgot to tell you, he gets to feel the heat as he sees another soul thrown in the fire. Whatever else you can say about this one, at least you can't doubt their sincerity. Me, I think it's got a charm of it's own in a way. It's one of those things I can't explain, or maybe I just don't want to.

No comments: