Sunday, October 16, 2005

The String Kings: Bloodshot/The Bash (Gaity GA 144)

This 1959 recording is from a Minnesota group that I was told were the Trashmen before the days of "Surfin' Bird." I could not find this record in their discography, so until someone confirms it for me, I'll have to say I don't know for sure. But I will say this: this one's a bonafide, 2-sided smoker with two killer sides!

Let's start off with "The Bash," the instrumental side. It begins with a "Peter Gunn"-like bass line before crude drumming and smokin' guitar combine to give you three-minutes of pure rockin' instro bliss! Then, the guitar fades off into the abyss and it's all over.

But not quite! "Bloodshot's" got a haunting tale of a man going to his kitchen to get himself a drink and seeing "those bloodshot eyes starin' at me. This one's got more of that smokin' guitar, plus a faster rhythm and beer-soaked vocals to put the thing across.

What else do I need to tell you? You NEED to hear this one. You can no doubt hear it on Norton's compilation "Bloodshot: The Gaity Records Story Vols. 1 and 2." Original copies of this are said to book between $300 and $500. (I got mine for $40.) And I believe there are a few repressings floating around. But however you get a hold of it, GET IT! HEAR IT! AND PLAY IT LOUD, MAN, LOUD! GO! GO! GO!

2 comments:

Jane said...

This is my dad's and Uncle's band. Larry Arsenal is my father. He's still with us!

Anonymous said...

This band was never called the Trashmen...always String Kings. I am Larry Arsenal's wife so, you can take it from me.