Saturday, January 17, 2009

Thurston Harris - "Do What You Did" (Aladdin)


What we have here is a case of a one-hit wonder's follow-up being even better than his hit. The hit is "Little Bitty Pretty One," the man is one Thurston Harris. This was his next record after "LBPO." It made the R&B Top 20 and made it to #57 on Billboard's pop charts, but after that, nothing else charted. But I like this one better because it has a much wilder edge. This one comes blasting out of the gate with Thurston's wailing vocals taking full center. There's also a blastin' sax solo for those of you who like that kind of thing. Really, though, take a chance on this real gone one. And that's all I'm gonna tell ya.

4 comments:

Mondo said...

Love this tune used it in a couple of my homemade mixes here and here

Anonymous said...

I found this site, trying to listen to Peach and Lee, in return I found a bunch of misguided information about Arlis so I added a comment onto that date. But alas I still cannot find anywhere to listen to any of their music if you could repost an mp3 of some of their music, or guide me to where I can go to hear them it would be greatly appreciated, and remember their comeback will begin soon, they played a concert recently in K.C. Mo. and blew the roof off, so they are hitting it full time again

little billy sunshine said...

it is pleasantly deranged. just my style.

CEW said...

My dad was a rock and roll deejay for radio station KILT in Houston in the late 1950s, and he also emcee'd sock hops. He kept the 45s he played at the hops in a Mayflower moving box which the kids in my family found in the basement in the early 1970s. This song, Do What You Did, was one of the records in the box. I remember we played it over and over. Some time in the '80s, the box was thrown away because the records by then were scratched and overplayed. I don't know what made me think of "Do What You Did," just now, but I googled "do what you did when the lights were low, just you and me and the radio" and here's your post. I hadn't remembered it was Thurston Harris sang the song. I even remember the label! Thanks for your post! Now to hunt down an MP3.