Saturday, September 19, 2009

Indy Show Finds - September Edition

Hello all. As I promised, I now give you yet another report on my findings at the September Indy record show on Sunday, September 13. It wasn't all that spectacular. Pickings were a bit on the slim side as there were fewer dealers than before. Plus, I only had $50 so I couldn't get too much. However, I didn't walk away empty handed. I managed to scrape a few goodies, most of them out of the dollar bins.

This time, since I didn't get a whole lot, I thought I'd do this a bit different. Rather than just list the records as I normally would do, I'm going to try to tell you a bit about each record I picked up. So, without further adieu, here we go:

Huey Smith and the Clowns: Scald-Dog/Pop-Eye (Ace)

It's always worth it to pick up a Huey Smith record, but this one doesn't quite reach the heights of "Well I'll Be John Brown" or "Don't You Just Know It." But as it is, both sides ramble along nicely, which is just what you'd expect. From 1962.

Joe Hinton: Love Sick Blues/You Know It Ain't Right (Back Beat)

I've heard a lot about this guy but I can't say I'm too impressed with this. It's not the raw, gutbucket soul I expected it to be, but a bit more polished. Maybe after a few more listens....

Mickey and Sylvia: There Oughta Be A Law (Vik)

This strikes me as kind of a follow-up to their big hit "Love Is Strange" since it sounds similar to it. Not the greatest thing, but pleasant enough. And the guitar work is pretty cool. From 1957.

Duane Eddy and the Rebels: Shazam (Jamie)

Pretty much what you'd expect from Mr. Eddy. I don't know, is it just me or are there too few good Duane Eddy records out there? His instrumentals don't have much punch to them. This one's not too bad, though. From the movie "Because They're Young" (1960).

Dale Wright and the Wright Guys: Please Don't Do It/Goody Goody Good-Bye (Fraternity)

This was the follow-up to "She's Neat" and it charted, too (#77 in 1958). This is one of those cases where the back-up vocals ruin everything by making it sound too corny. Wright's best record remains the non-charting "That's Show Biz," which we documented in this blog earlier.

The Undisputed Truth: What It Is (Gordy)

This was one of the follow-ups to their big (only) hit "Smiling Faces Sometimes" and it only made it up to #77 in 1972 (#38 on the soul chart). This one's a hip-shaker and that's all that really matters.

Gene Chandler: Kissin' in the Kitchen (Vee Jay)

This is the flip side of Chandler's 1962 No. 1 smash "Duke of Earl." Who would have thought that a gem of snappy R&B awaits you when you turn the record over? I heard this side was really good and I'm not disappointed.

Leon Ashley: Mental Journey (Ashley)

I thought this looked like a soul record, but it turned out to be country and not very good country at that.

Nappy Brown: Skiddy Woe (Savoy)

Todd has featured this on the "R&B Dance Party" blogcast so I don't have to tell you how cool it is.

Rufus Thomas: The Funky Bird (Stax)

It's usually a no-brainer to pick up a Rufus Thomas record and this one, from 1973-74, is no exception. While I don't think it's his best record, it's certainly got a tight butt-shakin' groove that makes it worth spinning a time or two.

Chuck Bridges and the L.A. Happening: Bad Sam/Keep Your Faith Baby (Vault)

I don't know anything about Mr. Bridges or this record, but I will tell you that both sides are funky as all hell with shrieking vocals at various intervals. Investigate it.

So, that's about it. Next time, I hope to have a bit more loot to work with and there'd better be better dealers. That and I'll have to make sure the batteries in my Numark record player are up and running. Next record show here in Indy is in November, so we'll see how we do and maybe my luck will be a little better. Maybe.

No comments: