Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Sister Rosetta Tharpe: "That's All" (Verve)


Hello again everyone. Well, it's been yet another long time between posts and this one's gonna be a bit of a quickie. But I wanted to share with you a little gem by the mighty Sister Rosetta Tharpe. Now, mind you, I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to this dynamo, but when I heard her version of "When The Saints Go Marchin' In," I was hooked. This woman could play a mean guitar and she did it for The Lord! Yow!

She shows off some o'that mean guitar work in this selection, which is over and done in 1:33. That's the way we like 'em around here, short and right to the point. Anyway, she raps a lot about people gotta have religion now. A girlie chorus chants "That's all, that's all at a couple of points to top things off. But that guitar sure be smokin'! Now, if any of you out there are in the know about the Sister's repertorie, I'd definitley appreciate some recommendations. In the meantime, here's "That's All" for your enjoyment and I hope you do.

8 comments:

Ella said...

Hmm, I don't see any song!

Todd Lucas said...

Sorry, the song is posted now. I should have a scan up late in the day.

WESTEX said...

Love Rosetta... I've had a couple of her Decca 78s ready to go for a spell at Diggin' It, but keep forgetting.

"Up Above My Head" is the song you need to hear if you haven't.

vincent the soul chef said...

She is indeed one of the true unsung heroines of the Gospel genre... I've got quite a few of her comps from eMusic and such, but they pale in comparison to this track, and they barely show off her guitar chops. I continue to look for her whenever and wherever I dig though.

Jamie Garner said...

holy cow! what a gnarly tone from her guitar! she's tearing it UP!

Anonymous said...

Hi. Nice effort. I liked your writing style. Keep it up.
I also request you to visit my blog:
Home Based Business

Anonymous said...

I just snagged her Gospel Train LP this weekend.

Anonymous said...

This is an awesome 45. Sister Rosetta Tharp's guitar solo is blistering and intense, her pleading vocal with the female chorus answering is egging you on to church. This 45 beats out many a secular tune for emotional impact. Many a so called guitar hero can't match Sister Rosetta Tharpe here. Incendiary brew concocted here.