Friday, October 01, 2010

Bobby Parker: "Watch Your Step" (V-Tone)



Hello again, and it's time for another soul stomper, this time from 1961. It's got it all: a shit-hot guitar riff, rhythms that recall Ray Charles' "What I Say," blastin' horns, shriekin' girlie chorus and wild, soulful vocals....I mean the whole thing just works up a complete sweat. I was reading one of Larry Grogan's old "Funky 16 Corners" post which, if I'm not mistaken, cites this as an inspiration for The Beatles' "I Feel Fine." Needless to say, this easily smokes The Beatles and wipes the floor with 'em. Do yourself a grand favor and check this out. It is indeed a thing of beauty. Oh, by the way, Parker is still playing to this day. Just thought you should know


4 comments:

Rockin' Jeff said...

Hell Yes! The only problem with songs like this is that they end.

Brian Marshall said...

Ain't it the truth. While Grateful Dead "jams" go on painfully forever.

Anonymous said...

Carlos Santana covered this killer on his 'Havana Moon' LP.

Anonymous said...

Fantastic song, I've always loved it, and I'm so happy to have a copy direct from vinyl!Regarding "I Feel Fine", though I think the Beatles took the riff and did something totally different with it (as usual!). Just by changing one note, it gives it a total different feel and attitude. And let's face it...."Watch Your Step", great a record as it is, is definitely in the "What I'd Say" mold, the electric piano riff reimagined for guitar, the rest of the arrangement totally "What I'd Say" (drum beat, backup vocals). So yeah, "I Feel Fine" takes from "Watch Your Step", but no more than "Watch Your Step" takes from "What I'd Say"!

FANTASTIC BLOG!!